Elder Flower Syrup
For about 2 liters of Syrup
20-40 freshly picked clusters of elder flowers
3 large lemons, (preferably organic)
1.5 l water
1 1/2 kilos or 17 cup sugar
50 g of citric acid
- Place the flower clusters in a bowl that can hold at least 4 liters.
- Wash the lemons thoroughly and peel off the outer skin with a potato peeler and add the peel to the elderberry flowers..
- Slice the lemons thinly and add to the bowl in layers along with elderberry flowers and lemon peel.
- Boil the water, stir in the sugar and remove from heat when the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in citric acid and pour the hot syrup over the flowers and lemons in bowl.
- Stir and let the syrup stand and pull covered with a kitchen towel for 3-4 days.
- Strain the syrup through a screen or a thin kitchen towel. Pour into clean bottles and store cold.
by Xilef Welner